Developing creative expression techniques: Planning the delivery of the CBDB workshop

How can I influence others to use poetry as a form of self-help? 


Below is an example of a practice that I would use during my self-help workshops.


Okay, so to begin I am going to give you a piece of paper which spells out the word 'home'.

H

O

M

E

I would now like you to have a think about what home means to you. 

What are the first thoughts that come to your mind?

After each letter I would like you to write a word(s), or a sentence, continuing after each letter which best describes what home means to you. The term 'home' could mean anything. I want you to take a few minutes to have a think about what home means to you.

Is home your house?
Do you feel like you have a place that you can call home?

Reminder...

Home is a place where you feel in control and most aware; a correctly orientated connection between time and space. It is the primary connection between yourself and the rest of the world, or as like to call it 'your safe space'.


Grab your pen and paper and begin writing. Write down the first thing that comes to mind, whether it be something that positive about life right now, or something that is paining your existence. I want you to explore in field of creative writing, open up your mind and write down your thoughts. Create a story if you like, or just write down a few words that mean something to you. I always found that if ever you have hit a writing block moment, do not give up, do not put the pen down. Poetry does not have to be grammatically correct, or wrote down in a formal manner. As one poet best said "the poem is a form of texting, a way of saying more with less".

Comments

Popular Posts