About: Creating Bridges, Diminishing Borders

I highly doubt that I would have explored my creative side without constant fluctuations in my mental state. I guess this is what has led me to create the movement ‘Creating Bridges, Diminishing Borders (CBDB). I'm guessing if you're reading this blog you are wondering what it is all about. Well, CBDB is a project that aims to encourage people to convey their emotions through creative expression by using poetry as a form of therapy. Poetry therapy is an expressive art form that offers space for a safe, non-judgmental atmosphere for which people can explore their inner-demons and emotional difficulties in an artistic, creative manner. I hope that by expressing my personal experiences, growth and change in attitude, others can become encouraged to speak out. Although the majority of focus is aimed towards poetry, this is just one form of creative expression amongst many other that I feel are beneficial. This blog is a platform whereby I can build and develop my interest in creative writing. My initial idea was to create a journal article that focused primarily on using poetry as a form of self-help, for others to read and recycle the ideas to help themselves. I have a tendency to rush my work with the expectation that it will be complete by next week. This is not the case. I now plan to use this as a 'draft', a space where I can express my journey whilst intertwining my poetry into the text. Reflecting on my own journey of pain, loss and grievance; I believe that creative writing is one of the most beneficial forms of therapy.

Fleischhack, J. "Women Fighting Back". 2019. Digital Photograph Canon 4000D.

The acknowledgement of our deepest, most innermost thoughts are what pushes us forward in this life. Being sincere to yourself is crucial in the healing of your thoughts. The idea is to diminish these borders that you build higher for yourself by each passing day. By forming bridges you allow yourself to be free - allowing yourself to prosper both materially and spiritually. Expressing yourself helps empower your reasoning and open up your mind in a whole different way. I have been conducting a wide variety of research on the positive impact that creative writing has on the brain functioning. Particularly those who have or are experiencing trauma related mental health issues. The beauty of therapeutic writing is that nobody has to read it, you can burn it afterwards if you like. I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to contact your GP, or visit a local mental health service; not to mention the prolonged wait to see a professional. Have you ever wondered if those words are really yours; when you're in the heat of the moment?

torn between reality
inside out
upside down
these words are not mine
lost in a maze
cannot escape
indulged in a spiral craze
until i reach the end

If anything, writing poetry is very similar to other forms of therapy in the sense that you are elaborating on specific emotions. Having the capacity to convey and process emotions can be extremely difficult, although once practiced can and will have greater effects. Processing emotions often leads to greater self-awareness, allowing the brain to access the parts that are genuinely inaccessible in your day-to-day life. The majority of poetry therapy focuses on individuals, or groups, reflecting on other poets work in hope that they can relate. For example, the therapist would select a specific material that would be relatable to the client and focus on their tone of voice and mannerism whilst reading it out aloud. The therapist would then ask open questions such as "I noticed you was anxious whilst performing this poem" or "I noticed you smiled as you read out the poem". Through the clients reactions to each poem, the therapist is then able to develop an idea of what it is that they are struggling with on an emotional level. It could be argued that using this form of therapy is beneficial, but is not allowing the individual to develop their own ideas. By supplying the client with the materials already in place, you are potentially creating a barrier in regards to their self creative expression. I remember studying English Literature in school and always being so proud of the short stories I could write. Analyzing Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet was interesting, but did not enhance my creative ability! I'm mumbling on now, but hopefully you have grasped an idea of what I am talking about.
The continuation of this topic discussion can be found on the blog post 'recycling expectations and moving forward: mental health crisis'. Hope you enjoy the read!

Comments

Popular Posts